Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'll make you cranberry pancakes, pretend like it's the weekend now.



I love cranberries. They burst into tangy supernovas in your mouth. Dried, they are yummy additions to any salad. They are a superfruit and make a darn delicious juice. They even stain your lips red! I put them in stuffing, sweet pumpkin bread, cookies, scones, everything!

Cranberry Pancakes are a winter favorite at my house. At Thanksgiving, I buy as many bags of cranberries as I can and freeze them to last us the whole winter.I love cranberries and I love pancakes, so how can the combination not be pure awesome in edible form? Pancakes are an endlessly versatile food; we have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on the day! I often make buttermilk pancakes, but I think that these pancakes work best with a basic recipe. I also up the sugar & vanilla in the recipe.

I'm going to do something shocking now. I'm actually going to admit my secret ingredient for just about everything. I use King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour to make my baked goods (and pancakes!) a wee tiny bit healthier. It doesn't cancel out the calories in, say, a chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie, but at least there's fiber & protein!

Cait's Cranberry Pancakes (makes enough to eat and have some leftover to freeze)

Dry Ingredients:
3 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
3 cups milk (I use skim milk)
6 tbsp butter (about 3/4 of a stick), melted
4 large eggs
2 tbsp vanilla

Mix-in:
2 cups cranberries (or more. I usually use more), chopped. You can also use whole cranberries, but I prefer them chopped.

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, leaving the cranberries aside. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture & stir them together until everything is just combined. Slowly fold in the cranberries.

Let the batter stand for 10-15 minutes.

Cook pancakes on a hot skillet.

To keep pancakes warm, put them on a cookie sheet in the oven (set to 250F).


Serve hot, with real maple syrup and butter or with honey.

2 comments:

  1. Those look so yummy! I freeze cranberries too, but have never used them in pancakes. I think I might give these a try tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANNOT wait to try these! I adore cranberries! I do the same thing at Thanksgiving. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete